Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Writing in Pencil

Multiple posts could come out of this one thought so I'll try to condense it all somehow...

A few gals around town are starting a book club and our first book of choice is Cold Tangerines. I feared it might be a little cheesy, but it's actually quite fabulous. Basically, a lady writes about her life... so there's a chapter that is ME totally. Here's the paragraph that almost brought me to tears...

"I should have written in pencil. I should have viewed the trajectory of my life as a mystery or an unkown. I should have planned lightly, hypothetically, and should have used words like maybe and possibly. Instead, every chance I got, I wrote in stone and Sharpie. I stood on my future, on what I knew, on the certainty of what life would hold for me, as though it was a rock. What I know now is that instead of a rock, it's more like a magic carpet, a slippy-slidy-wiggly thing, full of equal parts play and terror. The ground beneath my feet is lurching and breaking, and making way for an entirely new thing every time I look down, surprised once again by a future I couldn't have predicted."

I must admit. My life has not panned out at all how I thought it would. I admit it has led to extreme disappointment, pain, frustration, and confusion. I planned my life in Sharpie. It seems I forgot I'm not the one in control and ultimately play a roll in God's huge plan. I should have written in pencil. I shouldn't have so clearly marked what I thought was best for me. I've had to engulf myself in serious prayer to avoid anger and bitternes, but I'm willing to start writing in pencil. I realize it's ok to go back and erase... to either allow the Lord to write it in pen or just leave it blank for now. I would be lying if I said I'm perfect at this now, because I still remind myself to use the pencil hidden in my back pocket.

3 comments:

SJonesG said...

you know, I think that fits all of us... but we must live "expecting" to have the best life has to give but "accepting" whatever is thrown at us as part of who we are and what was meant to be. I don't think any person has the perfect life they dreamed of but they learn to be "content" with what their life is... and, of course, none of our lives are over yet so there's much more to "expect!"

Jules said...

I like this. So true. Thank God he knows our future even if our plans don't work out the way we PLANNED! :)

Erica said...

Good post...and great paragraph. I think I need to get that book!