Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Bread and Wine, part 2


I finished Bread and Wine just in time for a planned book club dinner, so I offered to host and cook some new recipes from Shauna’s book!

I am definitely one for ease and understanding so if there are any ingredients that leave me questioning the taste, I choose to steer towards the more simple ones.  I also thought I would document the prices of the ingredients to help you plan a little better.

With that being said, I chose these three:  Bacon Wrapped Dates, Annette’s Enchiladas, and the Blueberry Crisp.  None of which follow a theme.  At all.

Bacon-Wrapped Dates
These were our appetizer and they were UNbelievably good!  I will spare the details on me almost burning down the entire house due to the smoke billowing out of the oven from the grease that had leaked, but I will suggest that you most definitely should cook these in a pan with SIDES and not on an overflowing flat, cookie sheet.  Lesson learned.   There were six of us and we all had plenty with even a few to spare.

1 8 oz. package of pitted dates ($2.99)
4 oz. goat cheese ($3.99)
1 16 oz. bacon ($3.59) 
TOTAL:  $10.57 + tax   (Bummer for us Tennesseans who have the highest sales tax in the country!)

 






Annette’s Enchiladas
You can do me no wrong with a Mexican meal.  This did NOT disappoint.

sour cream (.99)
28 oz. green enchilada sauce ($2.97)
2 (4 oz) small green chiles diced ($1.58)
2 cups Mont. Jack shredded ($2.50)
12 tortillas ($3.09)
chicken broth (.60)
cilantro (.50)
chicken ($7.18)
TOTAL: $19.41 + tax (Also, I shopped at Bi-Lo which probably isn’t the cheapest choice, as to which my sister calls it “Bi-High".)

 


Mom’s Blueberry Crisp
Um.  This was absolutely, ridiculously fantastic.  Although all three dishes were glorious, this one was FABULOUS.  There are no other words.

4 cups blueberries ($9.98)  (I actually think I only used 2.  Blueberries are NOT cheap!)
1 cup old fash. oats (.20)
½ cup pecans ($2.99)
½ cup almond meal ($4.00)  (The entire package of this was about $12.19, but I made several dishes with it.)
½ cup maple syrup ($2.25)  (Same concept as almond meal.)
TOTAL: $19.42 + tax
 


It all turned out GREAT!  I did have to buy every ingredient because I was living with my mom at the time and it wasn’t my kitchen to rummage through, but I think if you have some of these items already stocked in the cabinets it would be even cheaper!

Entire evening (plus some extras such as ice cream and wine brought by the gals) equaled out to $49.40, which is $8.23 (+ tax) per person.  Wow!!  Three course meal for a great price! 

Buy her book to get the whole recipes and the stories that come with each one!


No comments: