Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The.List.

I can't believe I'm doing this. Since I was little I remember people making "lists" of what they want their mate to be like. I've never ever made a list... until now.

I don't quite know what inspired this but maybe I was just second guessing what I thought I wanted. So I decided to pick up a pen and write. I wanted to physically see what was most important to me.

About a year or so ago a fellow blogging friend posted her list she had for her husband. She's been married to him for like 8 years now (or something like that!). I was amazed at how detailed she was and how her husband ended up having almost all of those traits. And I do consider my personality to be similar to hers, so I decided to do this.

You may think I'm shallow, ridiculous, picky, etc. etc. but you can let me know what you think after. These are in no particular order.... well maybe like the top 3 are most important. And I tried to focus on what I WANT, not what I DON'T want, but a few slipped in.

1. Actively pursuing a relationship with Jesus Christ
2. Funny, Witty
3. Smart
4. Good communicator
5. Patient
6. Taller than me
7. Southerner
8. Has a solid job
9. Pretty, clean, white teeth
10. Wears jeans/pants that are at least a size bigger than me
11. Dresses well (i.e. polo and khakis.... OR... if he's trendy enough to pull off skinny jeans and a v-neck i'll take that too)
12. Enjoys kids and wants to be a dad at some point
13. Traveler
14. Goes to church regularly, even by himself
15. Is NOT racist
16. Enjoys and likes different genres of music
17. Social
18. Optimist (I can NOT handle cynisism!)
19. Clean, takes care of his things
20. Semi-organized (i'll take care of the rest buddy)
21. Athletic
22. Passionate
23. Loyal
24. Good credit score
25. Handles money well
26. Confident
27. Good family
28. Hard worker
29. Romantic
30. Selfless
31. Cuddler =)
32. Benevolent
33. Wants to have an open home to anyone who needs a place to stay
34. Does not plan to have alcohol in his home, especially when he has children
35. College educated
36. is a Leader
37. has a disciplined prayer life
38. Meek
39. Honest
40. doesn't watch/dvr tons of tv shows

**Bonuses but not required:
*no animals
*no school loans (I've got enough for the both of us)
*good cook
*avid reader
*UK fan
*moderate political views
*good dancer
*good singer

**Deal breakers:
*DUKE fan... (well... he can stay one if he never talks about it in my presence)
*Smoker

So, feel free to comment... but be nice. =) I think I actually might have forgotten a few too.
Did any of you make a list?
Do you think these lists are pointless?
Do you think mine is reasonable... or ridiculous?

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What about guns? I don't want any guns or weapons of the sort in my house, but my boyfriend disagrees. He promises he'll keep it locked up, but I don't think locking it up is good enough. I don't want guns on the property at all! I don't want any chance of my future kids getting ahold of it and injuring themselves or someone else, ya know?

Abigail said...

Lizzie, I actually thought about guns and forgot to add that one. Except, I think I'm the opposite of you. =) I want a man that can handle a gun, but I don't really want a full arsenal in the house. Just enough for safety. I used to HATE the idea of it but I've changed my views.

John and Court said...

I totally made a list!! He fell short of the TN fan/southerner thing but i figured that was okay after all :) and i love your list! you totally deserve each one :)

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

I like your list! I am glad you made one public so when you start to date some street rat I have ammo to make you stop. :)
I never made a list...and if I would have I prob. wouldn't have described John b/c we are so different in many ways. However when it comes down to it different has been good for me & I wouldn't change a thing...ok maybe the hunting part, but what can a girl do!? ;) So...I like your list, but just keep in mind that sometimes people surprise us & that can be a good thing! Don't rule someone out if they don't match the list perfectly AND keep in mind that even if they do...they are still human...meaning perfect list boy will still have flaws. There will still be disagreements & cloudy days, but that's life right!?

SJonesG said...

Great List Abby! Of course you know you probably won't get it "all" cause no one is perfect but it's good to think through those things. My only thought is..., I would remove "southerner" just because my youngest daughter married a "mid-westerner" from Iowa and he was God's perfect match for her! So you never know who God has in store for you!

SJonesG said...

I Love Your Wallpaper!!

Shawn Virginia said...

Great list! I'm kind of surprised that you haven't made a list already! I made mine years ago but it certainly wasn't as detailed as this:-) Details are good but I agree with everything Lisa said. You'll be surprised at what God gives you:-) Love you!

Abigail said...

Shirley, I think I put southerner mainly because I'm afraid if he's not from south, he'll move me near his family which might be far away. and that makes me sad...
unless of course the Lord was totally in that.

and Shawn, I know, shocking right that I never made a list?! I figured the Lord had his own list for me. Which I know He still does. =) Just thought I would guide him.... hahahaa... just kidding.

Claire said...

Love it! I think all of your friends comments about being open to something else are good. But the whole idea of a list isn't to say that "he" must meet every single criteria. It is just a guideline of things that matter to you.