Monday, November 5, 2012

You know you live in Cambodia when...

A fun list for you that I hope you enjoy.   =)

You know you live in Cambodia when...

...you pull up a Youtube video and then go do a 10 min. task while it loads because the internet is so slow.  

...it's normal to dig ants or "weevils" out of your food... and just continue eating.

...taking 2 to 3 showers a day is normal.

... eating cheese is a luxury.

... you walk in the door and immediately wash your hands and spray off your dirty feet.




(See that little "bidet" sprayer to the right of the toilet?  They are beside every toilet in Cambodia, as opposed to toilet paper.  But I prefer to just use it on my feet.  =) )






... you use everything possible as a paper weight because fans blow it all away!  and if you don't use a fan, you will melt.  

... watching movies and shows on your laptop is the norm.

... you can talk on your cell phone while driving because it's tucked in your helmet.

... you adhere to ZERO driving rules.  like... for real.  ZERO.

...you start to speak broken English yourself.   "You no have money?  That ok.  I help."  

...this is normal to see during rainy season:














...you ignore all the really awesome clothes, food, crafts and projects on Pinterest because you can not get any of the supplies necessary to make it.

... you sweat inside.  Even under the air conditioner.

...these conversations or statements become normal:
1.  Where do you want to go for dinner tonight?  I don't know, just somewhere with aircon.

2.  Lady, you need tuk tuk?!?!  
Ahte!  Kenyom me-ehn moto! (Khmer for "NO, I have a moto!") 
ohhh, you speak Khmer!!!!

3.  I don't want to eat there, it's kind of expensive... like 4$ for a meal.

4. Being called "cha" instead of "teacher"... and hearing "finny" instead of "finished".

5. Whenever tuk tuk drivers come up to my house:  You live here?  How much you pay?

... and this last picture pretty much sums it up:
















I witnessed my first electrical Cambodian fire last week.  I wonder how it started???  

1 comment:

Amy said...

so normal! haha, i love it abby. well written.

much love!