Thursday, March 3, 2011

Classic Monday



Ok, No. This did not come barreling down my road but it sure did feel like it!

If you've known me for a while, you probably have heard me share how terrified I was of tornadoes when I was little and that I slept in our basement almost an entire summer because I was so scared of storms.

Monday was an eventful day at school... started off just fine. And throughout the day the sky started looking more and more ominous with the darkness/somewhat bright clouds that came rolling in.

At about 2:25 we hear on the intercom: "STUDENTS, TEACHERS, WE ARE GOING INTO A CODE BLACK!"

ohhhh lovely.... PANIC... have we practiced this yet this year? do I remember where I'm supposed to put my kids?

Kids are against walls as to which when I was in school we had to face the walls with books over our heads but no... here in the 21st century we've moved to a more "relaxed" sense of safety. So, basically, just sit with your back against the wall and hope for the best. Not to mention... about 20 minutes into this I realized a student was totally sitting under a massive fire extinguisher. oops. sorry buddy.

113 8th graders crammed against the walls... then the power goes out.... then we see the SIDEWAYS rain coming down outside... then you see all the cell phones come out which was impossible to prevent. "I mean Miss Fletcher!! We can't see!!! can't we use our cell phones for light?!" riiiiighhhhttt....

Not to mention, we have quite a few "chummy" couples in our building this year so amidst the complete darkness, we went around shining our own phone lights in faces and calling for "hand checks" in every corner! And since the power was out, and it was hot that day, you can imagine how pungent the 13 year old body odor was.

Soooo... after 45 minutes.... and after me and my male colleague had had an intense discussion about who is going to get kicked off the Bachelor.... power came on, storm passed, and we returned to seats for approximately 4.3 minutes and then the kiddos were shipped off to leave.

Now THAT... is what I call a Monday.

3 comments:

Teddie said...

Love this! YOur colorful description had me wanting to hear more, especially "male colleagues and the Bachelor." LOL!

SJonesG said...

hahaha. love this! our offices wasnt quite so interesting!

lindsay rae said...

love a good hand check. a year can't be complete without several excuses for a hand check.