Saturday, August 3, 2013

Book Review: Part II

Second set of books I've chosen to review:

1. Jesus for President by Shane Claiborne


At first, I didn't care for this book.  I almost stopped reading it.  And then something just clicked and I finished the last half in one day.  Shane is considered highly radical and is not doubt liberal in his views on politics and Christianity.  I love his stories about his community and even though I do not agree with all of his opinion and ideas, I like that he challenges me in a different way.

A few of my favorite quotes from the book:

"... deep down we trust that only the power of the state and its militaries and markets can really make a difference in the world.  And so we're hardly able to distinguish what's American and what's Christian."

"One of the results of the birth of the church at Pentecost was that the church ended poverty:  "and there were no needy persons among them."  The community itself became good news to the poor.  They lived near one another, sharing a common rule of life, daily sharing worship and friendship.  They, as their hearts became softened to the love of God, enacted "release to the captive" and "freedom of the prisoner," slowly dissolving the structures of oppression within their households.  To a world gone blind from " an eye for an eye," they gave sight, living out Jesus' teachings on enemy-love."

"Christianity is at its best when it is peculiar, marginalized, suffering, and it is at its worst when it is popular, credible, triumphal, and powerful."  

Whew!  Shane will knock you straight on your face!

2. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

It is no secret that I love young adult literature, especially series.  I blame that on teaching middle school Language Arts for almost 7 years.  I was looking for a new one and stumbled upon this book as I was sitting in a bookstore killing time in Bangkok, Thailand.

I have only read the first one and it was super cute!  It wasn't nearly as grand as Harry Potter (yes, I know.  I'm not going to hell because of HP.) or the Hunger Games, but it was creative.

An intelligent man named Mr. Benedict goes on a search for children, specific kinds at that, who create this "society" to investigate an evil leader and his works.  They eventually become spies in a school to unravel this man's plan.  The characters are clever and different, all the while learning a lot about themselves.

3. The Lotus and the Cross by Ravi Zacharias

This was the first of Ravi Zacharias's books that I have read and I definitely want to read more of his writings.  He poses a conversation with Jesus and Buddha in this book.  It caught my eye because I live in a country that is 97% Buddhist and anything I can do to learn more about this religion and the people is helpful to me.

Of course, this book receives grand reviews... as well as highly negative reviews.  Some critiques say that it makes Jesus look arrogant... while others felt it was quite realistic.  Some scholars (particularly Buddhists) draw parallels between Buddha and Jesus, even calling them "brothers."  In regards to the name of the book, the Cross is a symbol for Christianity as the Lotus flower is the symbol for Buddhism.

The book's setting is in a boat, where Jesus and Buddha have a conversation with a prostitute named Priya.  There are MANY quotes I could share, but I remember a portion of the book where Buddha explains Kharma... and how basically the prostitute is where she is now because of her previous life.  She deserves the life she has now and "kharma" is giving her what she deserves.  YIKES!  So opposite of the Gospel.  Jesus has carried that burden for us and has washed us clean!  He was beaten, killed and visited Hell on our behalf so that we DO NOT get what we actually deserve.  Whew.... I could preach!

4. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

This was a fun little book!  I am, unashamedly, a late bloomer to the world of famous literary works.  I dunno... clearly I was being too social in High School and not paying attention to art or history or the WORLD for that matter.  Anywho-gotta grow up sometime, right?

This is a cute little play on words... and names... and confusion with people who aren't being completely honest and enjoy living double lives.  In the end, the truth all comes out, even if it does damage a few relationships.

And as far as Oscar Wilde goes... hmmmm... I learned about him too.  He lived by the motto of "if it feels good, do it."  That explains a few things.

5. The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy 

This is a total self-help book, which I don't usually love but my mom's boss recommended it and loved it.

I read it fast and did actually learn from it.  This might sound odd, but it inspired me the most in regards to my most recent "getting healthy/weight loss" journey.

I loved how he talks about momentum and that when you gain it, you really start seeing differences in the specific area you are targeting... whether that's your job, finances, school or... losing weight!  It encouraged me to keep pressing through even on the days when I DREAD being active and trusting that momentum will play its course in helping me with this.  And it has!

There ya go!  More books to come!  I am currently reading all of The Chronicles of Narnia and attempting to finish that darn Bonhoeffer book.  Soon my friends.  Soon!

No comments: