Saturday, July 20, 2013

What's been going on

I believe the Lord sent me a gift of cooler weather tonight here in Siem Reap.  I've been feeling particularly homesick for some reason the past few days, but tonight actually felt like a normal night at home.  I even bought some clothes, which almost never happens here (because nothing fits me) and had dinner and ice cream with some American and Khmer friends.  I pray we continue to have cooler days!  We were greeted with a power outage once we arrived home, but it was short lived.

About 2 weeks ago I was struck down with major sickness.  I can't remember the last time I was this sick, but it was a viral infection of some sort and I was hounding my sister everyday giving her new symptoms and asking for medical advice.  Whew.  It was rouuuuugh.  I would walk to the kitchen and be so tired that I would have to take a 3 hour nap!  I haven't fully regained my appetite yet and still have itchy hands and feet (who knew having a rash was normal?) but I'm slowly improving.  It lasted almost 8 days.  ugh.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  And of course, one becomes a little more concerned when you are living in SE Asia where Dengue Fever and Typhoid are all possibilities.  

Cambodia will be having its elections next Sunday, the 28th, and it's a really, really big deal this year.  I will spare you all of the details, but google "Sam Rainsy" and you will learn all about how he was exiled from Cambodia and just arrived in the country yesterday to serve as the opposition towards the standing party and prime minister.  It's rather monumental and thousands greeted him at the airport in Phnom Penh yesterday.  The Cambodian government has been pushed to have fair elections by many large, power house countries: Including the US.  I don't know if the Western news is covering it at all, but I am curious to see how it turns out.  We pray no violence occurs. 

I'm due for a book rating blog, that's for sure.  I've blown threw some books recently, here's to name a few: Humanitarian Jesus, What Good is God?, Jesus for President, The Mysterious Benedict Society, The Magicians Nephew, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and The Lotus and the Cross.  I am currently hoping to finish the entire Mysterious Benedict Society series and The Chronicles of Narnia.  And I've also been stuck on Metaxas' Bonhoeffer book foreeeeeever.  It's good, but I'm creepin' through it.  

Lookin' forward to my sisters visiting in about a month and thrilled to be taking a small trip to Vietnam in October!  Yay for travel!

No comments: