Monday, January 16, 2012

T - 3 days

Have no fear my friends! My postings are about to get A LOT more interesting.

It has been a whirlwind the past week. Moving out of my house... moving what is left into my mom's... spending time with friends and family... having a wonderful send off party.... etc. etc.

This post would also be way cooler with pictures but honestly, the fact that I found a few random pieces of clothing today to slap on was rather monumental.

I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be feeling this week. I'm actually not that emotional... yet. It's more like the phrase, "This is a joke... right? Like... I'm not really moving there? right?"

HA!

Yup! Jokes all on me... cause it's fo real!

I could share about all the different emotions but what I told my mom today sums it up best, (I can at least focus on this one "emotion" today anyways.) and let me try to explain it as best as I can...

Ya see, I try to find all uncomfortable, awkward, or even difficult moments funny. When I'm with my favorite girlfriends, we laugh entirely too much because somehow... in the end.... we just make it all a joke. Not to disguise our uncomfortableness or lack of being honest with one another, but rather.... we just love to laugh! And I was thinking of all those weird, not normal moments I'm going to have in Cambodia... and I'm not going to have my best friends there with me to laugh with. (*tear...) I'm not going to have anyone to make Friends references to... and I'm not going to have anyone to make fun of when they mess up their words and botch a phrase... and for all those times I will be terrified riding a moto or attempting to learn the language or eat some crazy food that probably makes me sick... I'm going to have to Skype and explain the story... or attempt to write about it on here... but it just won't be the same. I want those close to me to understand the culture, and the people, and how everything works because that's what makes it so much fun!

So my openly exposed hope now is that for my time in Cambodia I can find a "new" normal that will give me comfort and peace of mind in the friendships I create. And when I come home to visit, I hope no one has changed. Because everyone is perfect... just the way they are.
(cue: sappy Bruno Mars song)

3 comments:

Jen B said...

Abby- don't know you really well but went to Lee and am so excited for your journey!! It takes a lot of faith and courage and I hope the Lord uses you and reveals so much while you are away!! Thanks goodness for skype, right :)

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

anytime you have a story to share, put it in your phone on "the list" & we will relive it together. :) FYI-My plan of "denial" is really starting to fail me...

Jessica said...

While you may not laugh the same way as you do with your best friends at home -- those relationships are unique and irreplaceable in their own way -- I'm confident that you will find a special place in your heart for the new relationships you make in Cambodia. And you will laugh with them and have inside jokes in a way that will make those friendships irreplaceable. So very excited for you, friend!