Monday, December 19, 2011

Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200

It seems the shower is where I do a lot of my thinking. I know. Sounds... "odd" .... or rather "risqué" I suppose. But it seems I am "showered" (ha-corny pun) with lots of thoughts. Most of my blogging epiphanies happen then.

Consider this a smorgasbord of my brain.

First of all... for all of you ladies- don't you hate some, or maybe most, of the female curses? Like when you know you're being completely irrational and nothing in your brain makes sense? And you literally have to talk to yourself and say, "calm down... you're not thinking straight... why is this upsetting you... everything is ok." All over some nonsensical reason? And those of you lucky enough to actually have a husband, he might end up being the one that literally grabs a hold of you and says, "snap out of it!" (And bless their souls for having to put up with us) I say all of this because I just gave myself a 2 minute pep talk for some reason unbeknownst to me.

Next... if you work in sales or something of the sort and you want a sure fire way to lose costumers, talk to them like their idiots. I mean, really people? YOU might be the one with all of the knowledge (hence why people ask you about a certain something) but don't make the person on the other line feel like an idiot. WE DON'T KNOW! THAT'S WHY WE'RE ASKING YOU! That's why people love Chick-Fil-A so much: they're kind, patient, always there to serve you, and don't make you feel stupid if you ask for more Polynesian sauce. So if I call the health department and ask about vaccinations for Asia, don't make me feel like a fool that I didn't know you didn't do this when other people said you did!!!! I mean... not that this really happened or anything...

Which leads to another thought: I believe one of the greatest downfalls of a leader is making someone else feel stupid. Although this type of behavior often coincides with extreme arrogance, I actually think it reveals just the opposite. That you have to put other people down or make them feel stupid to fuel your own ego therefore, I think this is the exact antithesis of what a leader's behavior should be. Leaders encourage, serve, provide vision, support, and ultimately: create other leaders. How can you do those things when you're so busy fueling your own insecurities? Sorry, but most people won't respond to that type of behavior. They'll just avoid you. =) and they surely won't respect you.

And lastly, the true reason behind such complaints.... I've been spending more time playing Monopoly on my new, awesome, totally rocks my world, iPad (that I received as a very surprising gift!) rather than reading my usual devotions. and THIS ladies and gentlemen is what causes me to spin out of control. It's my usual litmus test for detecting why I start getting so easily annoyed-I lose complete perspective on life. I'm making this statement for accountability purposes.

Ok. I'm off. To go wrap presents... and read... and NOT play monopoly.
(although I must confess, the things I've learned in the past 3 days about mortgages and being "sent to jail" are truly irreplaceable)


No comments: