Monday, June 27, 2011

Closure

As my final blog from Asia, just wanted to share a few thoughts.

I intend to share a few more interesting items (more pictures and videos) even when I get back to the states but I feel at this time, this is necessary to share.

First of all, thank you to everyone who supported me in my coming to Cambodia rather that be through prayer, emotional support or finances. It's the journey as a whole that's life changing. I may not be preaching to thousands every day for hours at a time, but whether it be a small interaction or a clasroom full of orphans, it's the whole experience that counts. No, I did not live in a hut the entire 21 days and "suffer for Christ" as some may put it because honestly, I didn't suffer at all. I was surrounded by wonderful people and knew what I was doing was the right thing so how can I possibly call that suffering? Sure.... at times the heat was extremely difficult and the food was less than "American" and the roaches were highly undesired but that was all minor. So however you chose to help a sista travel across the world-please know I am more than grateful for your continuous support. I think you would be surprised at how many times you all popped into my head.

Secondly, I am going to try my very hardest to not just come back to American and have the post missions trip attitude where I seem to be overcome with guilt for living in the USA and just be annoyed with how ridiculously spoiled we all are. As Jake put it, if you were born in America, you hit the geographical jackpot. But rather, focus on how we can truly use every gift, talent, and extra dollar to help others. Even if it's not a third world country, what are YOU doing to help ANYBODY? Even if it's your next door neighbor. It's not always about helping an orphan on the other side of the world but rather how you use what you have to help YOUR world in your own town. I judge no one with a fancy house, fancy car, or fancy clothes (because in all truthfullness I fall into that category myself based on the lifestyle people live here) but maybe ask you to just slow down for a bit. If that is the main thing this precious 3rd world country has shown me is to sloooooowwwww dooowwwwwwn. Don't do so much. Don't say so much. Don't EAT as much! ha. And just pause to think about what you should give.

And to somewhat contradict everything I just said: I think EVERYONE needs to get off their butt every once in a while (and I mean rather often actually) and leave your comfort zone and travel to another country!!! Save some dollars, sacrifice an easy vacation or new outfit or new electronic device and even ask for some support if necessary to pay to get yourself into a different culture. I can easily bet my life that you will not be disappointed.

I'll shall see you on the other side of the great pond. =)

No comments: