Wednesday, July 18, 2012

This is what's going on

My head is always rattling with different topics to write about but sometimes I get on here, and don't think I can create a good enough word picture for what I really want to convey so I just don't do it.  Anyways-I need to get over that.

Going home and coming back to Asia somehow restarted my engine.  I was adjusting fine... and slowly... but I don't think I realized how slowly and now it's like I all of a sudden got a huge gust of excitement and motivation to start doing things!  Adjusting to the heat and way of life is important so you can learn how to function in it.

I have started teaching the children from our Home in the afternoons and I didn't realize how much I was missing structured classes!  I LOVE IT!  It's not a full day of teaching, so it feels different than teaching in the States.  They love the games that I play... and the new words they learn... and even some of the more difficult tasks they seem to want to rise to the occasion.  I have 2 separate classes, mainly split by age so it's fun to see how different they each function.

I will also teach this next session at our Learning Center which means I need to brush up A LOT on my Grammar and English tenses etc.  We forget how difficult the English language can be until you have to teach it to those who don't know it!

Last weekend we went to the PCL boys' soccer tournament and for just a split moment I forgot where I was because it was almost like being home.  All of us on the sidelines cheering... a beautiful open field with grey clouds above... and it was down to the wire with a tie ball game.  The girls even started PCL cheers, as to which I of course joined in with because I do have a little bit of a "cheer" past.  ;)  It was really lovely.

I am currently in Phnom Penh visiting our Children's Home here and the kids are happy, smart, clean, funny, and want to play every game possible.  They call me "sister" the entire time and like to grab my hand and pull me up the very steep stairs to see their rooms with barbies and quilts and musical instruments.  They are saying goodbye today to the Lee Interns and I know those seven college girls have made a huge impact on these little Cambodians.

There's so much going on over here and it's always great to be reminded of that.  You should come visit.  =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the update! wish I could have seen you when you were home!

SJonesG said...

awesome! I love it. So glad you are getting to spend time with the sweet beautiful kids at House of Hope. I love that you love teaching them!!