Saturday, October 22, 2011

10 years later



I graduated 10 years ago in 2001, the first REAL class of the millennium. At least that's what we were always told. ha.

We had our reunion this weekend and it was blog worthy to say the least.

There was a little tail-gating last night before the big BCHS vs. CHS f'ball game which was aired on ESPNU by the way. We got a tour of the new high school which did not feel like my high school at all. I hope those kids know how good they have it! Beautiful cafeteria... brand new science building... an amphitheater to have classes outside... gorgeous athletic fields. But I will say there was a small moment when I could actually smell the same scent I smelled 10 years ago. Just an old, high school odor. Not for sure if that was good or bad.

Then tonight we had a meal with a band and bonfire at the Fillauer House, which is owned by one of our classmate's mom so that was actually kind of cool for us to have it there. But, it was just a weird feeling.

I haven't seen some of these people since the day I graduated, literally. And it's like-all of a sudden-we just are supposed to know how to pick up a conversation and figure out what everyone has done the past 10 years.

Let me tell you about our graduating class... we were a great class. We had like 7 4.0s so we didn't even have a Valedictorian... we brought back the school spirit of tail-gating and dressing up at ball games which seems to have continued 10 more years since I saw it all last night. And honestly, we were just a fun class. Yea, there were cliques but at the same time we all knew each other.

After tonight, we concluded that at least 50% of our class lives in Nashville. Like, the reunion might as well have been there. And multiple own their own businesses and could like, be my boss. Weird. And then some people look the EXACT same, as if they literally just walked out the front doors of CHS. I was amazed by that.

It was wonderful to see old faces... and it was even more grand to share stories about ridiculous events that occurred during those years.

I have no idea how I was truly perceived in HS. To me-I just floated from group to group and never really stood out, but somehow enjoyed all of my different friends. I know in HS people intimidated me and I felt insecure. But honestly, glad to say, I didn't feel like that at all tonight nor did it ever cross my mind that any of them were better than me... or have accomplished more than me... or are even doing anything that I wish I could be doing.

So I suppose that can be some sort of reassurance that I have chosen the right path the last ten years. Not quite sure if it was an epiphany or what, but my life only continues to get better and if that was all I got from the class of 2001 then I'll take it.

And here's a shout out to my fellow classmate who told me he sporadically reads my blog and I had no idea. CM, Don't you miss those Renaissance days? =)

2 comments:

SJonesG said...

What a wonderful review of your class reunion. Such a healthy view! and I love the quote/photo! haha

Collin said...

Haha! I really enjoyed this! :)

Yeah, I think most people are insecure about how they are perceived in high school. And it's funny just how important that is when you're younger. I find myself less & less worried about how others perceive me these days. Because over time you realize everybody's fighting their own battles and going through their own struggles.

But the reunion was a lot of fun! It was great getting to see some old faces & feel young again, if only for a night :)